Tuesday, October 6, 2009

MS 150 City To Shore Bike Ride - October 3, 2009

This was the third time I rode my bike in the MS 150 City to Shore Bike Ride. For me it's actually the MS "75" Miler as I ride ONE way only! DOWNHILL to the ocean! ha... And to clarify, we are talking bicycle, not motorcycle (Funny how many people assume it's motorcycles when I say "bike"!). I guess the NJ River Rambler REALLY should be kayaking down there, hmmm, interesting idea.

There were about 7000 bikes, so it was a sight to see, at the beginning anyway, in Cherry Hill at the Woodcrest Train station lot.  Maybe drivers on our route would say it's not a good sight, cause of the traffic tie-ups. 















I made a map with the exact bike route, shown below, not that you can get lost with all the volunteers and road markings, but just so you know how much farther you need to go to hit those two bridges on the north end of Ocean City, NJ. It was a challenge to make it over both bridges, without stopping, then really all downhill from there! 




This 29th annual event, is the largest two day bike ride on the East Coast and second largest in the country.  About $5,000,000 was raised for the fight against MS (thanks to those of you that helped me raise $350). 

I rode from approximately 7:30am to 3:30pm, so what's that, like 10 mph, counting rest stops?  It's a very well organized event, every mile had a marker, almost every pothole or rough road was spray painted to warn riders, and plenty of food and drink, at the five rest stops.  I did see the same amount of bike crashes as prior years, about 3 to 5, but it was mostly safe for the other 7,000+ of us.  It was fun and I plan on doing it again.